Sunday 4 March 2012

Almost Spring…

The ducks know its almost spring (lol) 
Lately there has been much more sunshine – oh, how I love the sun!!! It’s one of those rare commodities in Britain that you learn to treasure early on. One thing I’ve noticed since being here is that British weather is erratic and constantly changing. I’m from a tropical country where it is perpetually summer so you can understand when I say that this cold and bleak climate was one of the hardest things to get accustomed to. Sometimes the days start off beautifully bright and sunny and then by time you say “what a lovely day” --- rain, rain and more rain --- It’s no wonder that the most frequently discussed topic is the weather.

So what has the winter season been like? In my opinion: cold, wet, foggy and dreary but I’m told it was much milder compared to the previous year. I must say, it’s quite different from other winters I’ve experienced in North American countries such as Canada. Normally one would associate winter with snow, lots of it –but that wasn’t what I experienced here in Birmingham. During the February nights we saw a bit of snowfall …of course this was washed away by the following morning by the rain. The most significant snowfall occurred on two weekends, but just enough to cover the floor.

View from my flat: Snow covered lake on campus

The nature of the coldness differed in the fact that it was always rainy and windy so there was this constant dampness that really clung to you when you’re outside. I typically don’t have an issue with rainy weather but given that its winter, its cold water and with the constant wind, its being blown onto you so there is no escaping it. One of my friends described it as being ‘cold to the bone’ but I guess that’s why the layering method of dressing is so important. Once I got the hang of dressing for this climate, the weather became more manageable. Most students commute by walking, especially if you’re going out for fun, shopping or doing groceries, so there is no avoiding the climate; the best thing is to adapt.

Out in Birmingham City after a snowfall

According to my calendar the 20th of March marks the first day of spring; I hear its lovely…. so you know who will be counting down until then J
 Looks like more sunny days are in store. ..yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment